Posted By: Anonymous
If I have n commits, how can I branch from the n-3 commit?
I can see the hash of every commit.
You can create the branch via a hash:
git branch branchname <sha1-of-commit>
Or by using a symbolic reference:
git branch branchname HEAD~3
To checkout the branch when creating it, use
git checkout -b branchname <sha1-of-commit or HEAD~3>
Answered By: Anonymous
- Checkout another branch when there are uncommitted…
- Git Using Remote Branch
- Why do I have to "git push --set-upstream origin "?
- How can I reconcile detached HEAD with master/origin?
- What's the difference between HEAD^ and HEAD~ in Git?
- What's the difference between "git reset" and "git…
- How do I make a Git commit in the past?
- Difference between git checkout --track…
- In plain English, what does "git reset" do?
- Retrieve specific commit from a remote Git repository
- Why does git perform fast-forward merges by default?
- Why did my Git repo enter a detached HEAD state?
- How can I move HEAD back to a previous location?…
- Why do git fetch origin and git fetch : behave differently?
- Git workflow and rebase vs merge questions
- Why call git branch --unset-upstream to fixup?
- git pull while not in a git directory
- Various ways to remove local Git changes
- Squash the first two commits in Git?
- Git: Create a branch from unstaged/uncommitted…
- Homebrew install specific version of formula?
- Move the most recent commit(s) to a new branch with Git
- Fundamental difference between Hashing and…
- How do I revert a Git repository to a previous commit?
- How to cherry pick a range of commits and merge into…
- How to retrieve a single file from a specific…
- Git submodule head 'reference is not a tree' error
- How does origin/HEAD get set?
- How to revert multiple git commits?
- How to pull in changes from skeleton sub-repository…
- How to create the branch from specific commit in…
- How to git reset --hard a subdirectory?
- How to modify existing, unpushed commit messages?
- What is git tag, How to create tags & How to…
- Git submodule update
- git lfs push to github failure on Ubuntu 18.04
- What is a tracking branch?
- Is it safe to shallow clone with --depth 1, create…
- Change a Git remote HEAD to point to something…
- How to recover stashed uncommitted changes
- Git merge with force overwrite
- How can I switch to another branch in git?
- How to fix Git error: object file is empty?
- Git, How to reset origin/master to a commit?
- How to programmatically determine the current…
- Git - Pushing code to two remotes
- Git merge master into feature branch
- How to merge remote master to local branch
- Why does Git say my master branch is "already up to…
- How do I find all of the symlinks in a directory tree?
- Merge, update, and pull Git branches without using checkouts
- What exactly does the "u" do? "git push -u origin…
- git push says "everything up-to-date" even though I…
- Git "error: The branch 'x' is not fully merged"
- git switch branch without discarding local changes
- Checking out Git tag leads to "detached HEAD state"
- Your configuration specifies to merge with the from…
- Recalculate merge conflicts (ie. how to generate…
- How do I delete a Git branch locally and remotely?
- How do I 'overwrite', rather than 'merge', a branch…
- git status shows modifications, git checkout --…
- Using `window.location.hash.includes` throws “Object…
- How can I delete all Git branches which have been merged?
- Retrieve the commit log for a specific line in a file?
- How to list branches that contain a given commit?
- How can I find the location of origin/master in git,…
- How can I merge two commits into one if I already…
- git bring some "older" changes to a new branch after…
- How to track untracked content?
- How do I clone a single branch in Git?
- How to get just one file from another branch
- BootstrapVue: B-table item data not running…
- What's the difference between HEAD, working tree and…
- moving committed (but not pushed) changes to a new…
- Does "git fetch --tags" include "git fetch"?
- How to add to an existing hash in Ruby
- “tag already exists in the remote" error after…
- Push git commits & tags simultaneously
- Git fetch remote branch
- How do I use 'git reset --hard HEAD' to revert to a…
- git pull from master into the development branch
- Check if pull needed in Git
- How to find the nearest parent of a Git branch?
- Practical uses of git reset --soft?
- Git push won't do anything (everything up-to-date)
- Break a previous commit into multiple commits
- How to get the changes on a branch in Git
- What is "git remote add ..." and "git push origin master"?
- In git, what is the difference between merge…
- "git checkout " is changing branch to "no branch"
- How do I force "git pull" to overwrite local files?
- How to undo local changes to a specific file
- How do you stop tracking a remote branch in Git?
- Git: How to squash all commits on branch
- How can I switch my git repository to a particular commit
- How to commit my current changes to a different…
- How to merge a specific commit in Git
- Is it possible to do a sparse checkout without…
- Resetting remote to a certain commit
- Git push rejected after feature branch rebase