Posted By: Anonymous
Whenever I design a database, I always wonder if there is a best way of naming an item in my database. Quite often I ask myself the following questions:
- Should table names be plural?
- Should column names be singular?
- Should I prefix tables or columns?
- Should I use any case in naming items?
Are there any recommended guidelines out there for naming items in a database?
I recommend checking out Microsoft’s SQL Server sample databases:
The AdventureWorks sample uses a very clear and consistent naming convention that uses schema names for the organization of database objects.
- Singular names for tables
- Singular names for columns
- Schema name for tables prefix (E.g.: SchemeName.TableName)
- Pascal casing (a.k.a. upper camel case)