Posted By: Anonymous
I want to create a folder in a GitHub repository and want to add files in that folder. How do I achieve this?
/ in the file name field to create folder(s), e.g. typing
folder1/file1 in the file name field will create a folder
folder1 and a file
You cannot create an empty folder and then add files to that folder, but rather creation of a folder must happen together with adding of at least a single file. This is because got doesn’t track empty folders.
On GitHub you can do it this way:
- Go to the folder inside which you want to create another folder
- Click on New file
- On the text field for the file name, first write the folder name you want to create
- Then type
/. This creates a folder
- You can add more folders similarly
- Finally, give the new file a name (for example,
.gitkeepwhich is conventionally used to make Git track otherwise empty folders; it is not a Git feature though)
- Finally, click Commit new file.